Win10 Keyboard has new key "fn" to activate Fn keys

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

unclejoe

Win10 Keyboard has new key "fn" to activate Fn keys

Post by unclejoe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:50 am

I just received a new HP Computer with Windows 10. It came with a keyboard that has dual actions for the normal function keys. Unfortunately the default action is to execute some Windows 10 function. In order to press the normal "F12" key you have to hold down the "fn" key.
There is no "fn" key in the PRESS list of keys. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Could a "fn" key be added to the PRESS list?
Joe Mueller
[email protected]

Grovkillen
Automation Wizard

Re: Win10 Keyboard has new key "fn" to activate Fn keys

Post by Grovkillen » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 am

You don't need to have the fn pressed when doing scripted function key press. But if you want to have fn locked for your own human interface you can use the fn-lock function: Fn + Shift (first press fn, then shift)

fn lock/unlock: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook- ... -p/5888642

Remove fn: https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108/
Let>ME=%Script%

Running: 15.0.24
version history

unclejoe

Post by unclejoe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you for your information. I verified that my macros with Pressing function keys work normally. However, the suggestion for locking the fn key function for "Normal" operation [ fn-lock function: Fn + Shift (first press fn, then shift)] did not appear to work. Looking at your references, I tried to modify the BIOS but could not get to the configuration window.
Joe Mueller
[email protected]

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 am

unclejoe wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:53 pm
Thank you for your information. I verified that my macros with Pressing function keys work normally. However, the suggestion for locking the fn key function for "Normal" operation [ fn-lock function: Fn + Shift (first press fn, then shift)] did not appear to work. Looking at your references, I tried to modify the BIOS but could not get to the configuration window.
I've tried locking it on my Lenovo Yoga laptop and it doesn't work either. I've researched it and tried a lot of different ways, none of which did the trick. The odd thing is, it's changed it's default state, so it must be possible. I used to have to press Fn + F1, now I just press F1. So I have inadvertently changed it at some point.

Thank goodness scripting does not need it.
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here