Undocumented Keyboard Shortcuts in Editor?

Technical support and scripting issues

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

dtaylor
Junior Coder

Undocumented Keyboard Shortcuts in Editor?

Post by dtaylor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:12 am

Note: Forgive me if these are documented, but I have not been able to find them.

I ran across the first keyboard shortcut below by accident. This led me to look for additional shortcuts that might exist. So far I have found the following keyboard shortcuts in the Editor.
  • Ctrl-B = deletes from cursor position to the start of the line
  • Ctrl-T = deletes from cursor to start of next word
  • Ctrl-BackSpace = deletes from cursor position to start of the current word (or previous word if cursor is on a space)
  • Ctrl-I = inserts a Tab at cursor position
  • Ctrl-N = inserts a Newline/Return at cursor position
  • Ctrl-Y = deletes current line
Are these shortcuts suppose to be there? Anyone have any other undocumented shortcuts they know of?

I can make use of them, but I think that they should be documented. Also if it exists, I'd be interested in what the shortcut key would be to delete from the cursor to the end of the line.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Re: Undocumented Keyboard Shortcuts in Editor?

Post by JRL » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Thank you for these shortcuts. I particularly like ctrl+t. I don't know of any other undocumented shortcuts but then I haven't looked for any.

If you are a keyboard user rather than a mouse clicker one thing you need to know is that you can create your own shortcuts. Hopefully you're already aware that Macro Scheduler allows you to assign hotkeys to execute your macros. You can, therefore, create a macro that performs a set of commands in the editor and run that macro via custom key strokes.

For example:
Also if it exists, I'd be interested in what the shortcut key would be to delete from the cursor to the end of the line.
I don't know any shortcut that will directly perform this action. However I know that in most editors including Macro Scheduler's editor, the keys Shift + End will highlight text from the cursor position to the end of the line. I also know that pressing the "Del" key will remove highlighted text. We can create a macro that presses "Shift + End" then "Del", assign that macro a hotkey combination and you suddenly have a "shortcut" that performs whatever magic you desire while you're in the MS editor or any editor.

Code: Select all

Press shift
  Press end
Release shift
Press Del
Another example would be for the enhancement request you made earlier. Put the following in a macro, set a hotkey for that macro and then when you are in an editor, pressing your hotkey will copy the current line to the next line.

Code: Select all

GetClipBoard>vSaveClip

Press home
Press shift
  Press end
Release shift

Press ctrl
  send>c
Release ctrl

Press end
Press enter

Press ctrl
  send>v
Release ctrl

PutClipBoard>vSaveClip

dtaylor
Junior Coder

Re: Undocumented Keyboard Shortcuts in Editor?

Post by dtaylor » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 pm

JRL, thanks info and the code!

I am aware that Macro Scheduler allows me to assign hotkeys to macros, but I am still in the "Trial" stage of evaluating Macro Scheduler and I haven't looked at that functionality yet. Hotkey assignment does look interesting, but I'm probably going to stick with AutoHotKey for simple keyboard hotkeys and text replacements. Not that there's anything wrong with using Macro Scheduler for this, AutoHotKey is just easier to use and manage since that is its main purpose to begin with. I can keep all of my hotkeys in a single script file. It's not necessarily better, it's just easier for me.

Of course I prefer to use an application's built in hotkeys when they are available rather than building my own custom ones. Sometimes custom hotkeys get in the way if an application (such as Macro Scheduler) later uses a hotkey you've already assigned to do something else. It can lead to unexpected results.

Once again, thanks for the insight! It is much appreciated.