Video Tutorial Recording?

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JRL
Automation Wizard

Video Tutorial Recording?

Post by JRL » Mon May 02, 2016 4:33 pm

There are a fair number of good quality Macro Scheduler tutorials available. I'm looking for advice on how to get started.

What software do those of you who have made them use? Do you script what you intend to say? Note cards as if you're making a speech? Or do you just follow the events being recorded and ad lib? I know if a tutorial seems too long I will generally start fast forwarding through, any thoughts on what a good length is?

I am a blank slate. No experience not even any serious previous consideration for making a video. No advice too basic.

Thanks,
Dick

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: Video Tutorial Recording?

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed May 04, 2016 5:14 pm

I use screencast-o-matic.com - it's nice and easy. Don't script. Just go for it. But some of the tutorials are older and have been made with other things and some done by others.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Wed May 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Marcus,

Thank you for your reply. In my searches for software this is one I did not see and it looks like a good one, better if you buy it. I know there are others who have made videos. Anyone else have any suggestions, pointers, video tutorials? :)

andrewbarbour

Post by andrewbarbour » Tue May 10, 2016 2:16 pm

It is not cheap.... but my preference is Camtasia Studio. Get the package with Snagit (USD$325). I use these tools every day! We have folks using way more expensive products with a recording/production studio in my office (it is their full-time gig) and I put out content faster than they do and at comparable quality. I have automated some of the production steps using MS as well.

Oh yeah - don't script too much. My preference is to actually plan to record the on-screen first (my audio is just for me for future reference). Then clean-up all of the on-screen errors I did (just removing them from the time-line). And then record the audio over top - pausing the on-screen movements where needed.

Good luck

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue May 10, 2016 2:36 pm

Thanks Andrew. I'm going to have to go with software that is free or close to free but I really like the advice on adding the audio.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Wed May 18, 2016 3:50 am

If your after something simple that you can just highlight something I use LiceCap (creates animated gifs, good for webpages etc).

Otherwise I use Fastone Screen Capture. Creates really small files sizes can be used as a screen capture tool but also has video options and editor so you can do basic overlays, highlights etc.
FIREFIGHTER