Running Scheduler on a VM

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

EricD

Running Scheduler on a VM

Post by EricD » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello!

This is my first post to the forums. I'm currently evaluating the use of this software for company use to help automate some of my daily processes. Having said that, I also wish to have these macros run (if needed) during the day when I'd like to focus on other tasks.

Ideally, I'd like to use the Remote Desktop Connection to remote into a VM server, and have all the Macros run from there, the trouble is that I quickly discovered that even if my Remote Desktop Connection is connected, but minimized on my local computer, the Macros don't run on their scheduled time.

Because of this conundrum, I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to allow me to have Macros run on a remote VM while I'm not actively looking at in on screen?
2) By purchasing a single license, and me being the only user of the license, are we allowed to have a version installed on my local work computer as well as the VM Server for work (Only I have access to this VM), or would that have to require two separate licenses?

If there is a way to have question 1 work, then question 2 really wouldn't apply.

Any advice from the experts out there? I'm very exciting about this software and I hope it can provide the solutions I'm looking for! Thanks in advance for your help!

-Eric

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: Running Scheduler on a VM

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:17 am

Hi,

1) Unfortunately Microsoft made it so that even if you minimize the remote desktop window the remote session is LOCKED, which means that all UI objects cease to exist, and there is no console. So UI automation becomes impossible. If using RDP you therefore need to NOT close or minimize the session. You could move it off screen or make it tiny and it would still work. OR stop using RDP and use instead something like RealVNC or TeamViewer which can be set to not lock the session on disconnect.

2) You would need an additional license.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

EricD

Post by EricD » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:30 pm

Thank you very much Marcus! I'll look into these additional tools as well as do more experimenting with the sizing/placement of the window for my current setup.

Thanks,
Eric

Jamball77

Post by Jamball77 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:15 pm

I use RDP to access virtual servers. Just X out of RDS it'll warn you saying your session window will close but any open programs will continue to run.

Consider other administrators. Generally, you'll only have 2 licenses to remote into a server unless you buy additional LICs. If you only have two licenses and two or more sessions are Xed out but have running programs, the next user logging in will disconnect one of the open sessions to gain entry. The session closed could be yours.

I've also run desktop OS based VMs like windows 7 on a VMware host. Only one user can log in but if you use it exclusively for the purpose of running scripts/exe on a timer and name the VM appropriately the Sysadm won't likely close it out inadvertently and will know what to do if he does.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:14 am

Late to the party on this one, however, you can use something like mRemoteNG if you connect to a lot of different servers regularly like I do. Changing the tab to another session or minimising doesn't stop the macros from running. I'm not sure about mouse driven ones, but the keystroke ones I use work well though the session (providing its excuted on the server).
FIREFIGHTER