Internet Speed

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JRL
Automation Wizard

Internet Speed

Post by JRL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:21 pm

I work in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Cedar Falls has its own "Communications Utility". Its a module with the Electric Utility and the Water Utility etc. In 1997 they run fiber all over the city and ran fiber directly to most local businesses. At that time they ran cable for cable television and internet to any homes in town that subscribed to the communications services.

Over the last couple of years they have been running fiber to all the home subscribers. This morning a co-worker who lives in Cedar Falls and is a Cedar Falls Utility communications service subscriber stopped in and asked me if the CFU had bumped up their internet speed. His son is home from college and told him he thought the internet was like five times faster than it was last summer.

I didn't know but I did know that our speed here at work was 67 mbs down and 22 mbs up only a couple months ago. I've always felt that was pretty good. Imagine my surprise when I checked this morning and found the speed is now 233 mbs down and 222 mbs up.

This sounds spectacular. Now I wonder what kind of speed the rest of the world is experiencing. What kind of speed do you experience at your location? I used http://www.speedtest.net/ to test. Is there a more accurate test? If so let me know.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Re: Internet Speed

Post by JRL » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm

Wow... tried them all and on several different computers. Reported speeds are all over the map. Anywhere from 15 mbs to 250 mbs. Even vastly different results with the same site running on two different computers at the about same time. I know that internet speed is a moving target but I would have expected that there would be consistency between test sites.

I suppose if you pick one test site and test with it prior to an expected upgrade in service then test again after the upgrade you might get some sense of whether or not the upgrade is worthwhile.

The zdnet speed test http://www.zdnet.com/broadband-speedtest/ reports my speed from 60 to 99 mbs as I ran it multiple times for a few minutes. They also have a chart of results from their test running on computers all over the world. One of the columns is the maximum speed reported in a particular country. Another column is the average speed reported in a particular country. There are a few maximum speeds that they report that are higher than 100 but there are no average speeds greater than 37 and most average speeds are under 1.5 mbs which would be T1 speeds. This chart is a strong indication that my provider is doing a very good job.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Here's mine. Vancouver WA on Comcast.

Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:16 pm

Was asked what our internet speed was by someone at a different facility. Checked and was surprised. Used
https://www.speedtest.net/

SpeedTest.png