Samsung Galaxy S5, or Note 3?

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Samsung Galaxy S5, or Note 3?

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm at that exciting semi annual point in my life where I'm eligible for a phone upgrade.

I'm definitely an Android devotee, and a big Samsung fan.

Being visually impaired, the big screen of the Note 3 is tempting. But I'm also a technophile so don't want to miss out on anything new and groovy the S5 may have to offer. I must admit that I like the idea of the Note 3 stylus, too.

Add to the mix that the HTC One is favorably mentioned by Sprint salesmen, who also tell me a Note 4 is rumored for November, and my reasoning goes flying out the window. Especially seeing as salesmen often have hidden incentive to push certain products, I can never really believe what they're telling me.

Which would you choose, and why? Don't say iPhone. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

Meryl
Staff

Re: Samsung Galaxy S5, or Note 3?

Post by Meryl » Mon May 05, 2014 2:47 pm

Always hear great things about the Galaxy. Haven't heard anything about Note 3 as friends don't use it.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri May 09, 2014 6:18 am

What did you go for in the end?

I just want a smart phone whose battery lasts a full day. Haven't had that since the good old blackberry. Every android I've had will last 6 hours if I'm lucky and that's with battery saving software, task killers and careful usage. iPhones are no better according to friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Fri May 09, 2014 6:41 am

That's so strange, because I've always flogged my smartphones to death, and I rarely have battery issues unless I've been playing a game for a very prolonged period of time.

I used it *a lot*, too. Could it be the apps you're using? The data collection frequency of something? (like Twitter checking on a 1 minute cycle), unused connections being left on? Or apps updating?

I haven't bought it yet, but I think I'm going for the Note 3. I like the idea of a stylus, and a bigger screen.

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Sat May 10, 2014 9:26 pm

You know what? My phone has been off the charger for about six hours, and it's at 15%

I guess I must have the same problem after all.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:31 am

I got myself one of these a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cubot-P9-Smartp ... B00G3ZAHB8

I have a SIM only deal so I buy phones rather than get them on contract. When I discovered this I thought it could be too good to be true but checked out a load of reviews and decided to try it.

Well it's amazing. For £65 it's great value for money. Very quick, great screen, and battery life is incredible. Best smartphone for battery life I've ever had.

I guess phones are going the way of Windows PCs 20 or so years ago with unbranded generic parts. Why buy from a big brand when it's just an Android? In fact it's better - it doesn't come loaded with the usual bloatware that manufacturers tend to add on top.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:14 am

I forgot to reply to this.

In the end, I waited for the Samsung Note 4 to be released at the end of 2014. I must say, I'm really pleased with it.

The screen is huge, and I'm loving the stylus. Screen writing works well, and being able to annotate and share screens and images is very useful.

I was initially worried that it may be too big for a pocket, but it fits in my jeans pocket pretty easily.