Tired of being called GENIUS?

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Tired of being called GENIUS?

Post by PepsiHog » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm curious if there are those of you who understand my view point on this. Plus I'd like to hear your opinions and insights on this. And your stories, of course.

So I know more than the average user about computers. Every so often I might help someone with their own computer. Now, I get that it's a compliment, but I hate it when someone calls me a genius. To me genius implies a person who is so smart that it comes easy for them.

I left click, right click everything. I spend the time learning. I actually like it when my explorations end up crashing my computer.(mostly because I have a genius backing-up and restoring method....LOL! Get it? Joke.) That's when I know I'm learning! But I have to work at learning. I rip my hair out, bang my head against the wall, scream at my computer(softly not to bother anyone), and sometimes I even almost shed a tear.(in a manly sort of way, of course.)

I enjoy computers and all that. Yes. But I spend the time learning. So when someone who just clicks on what they want to do at the moment and that's it, calls me a genius, to me, that excludes all the hair pulling I've done. And honestly, maybe it's a form of low self esteem, but I can not accept the concept of me being a genius. How can all this hard work be genius?

I wasn't even completely sure of how to spell "genius" when I started writing this. I had to look it up.(Not a word I use often.)

I told a friend who I was helping with his computer(which I crashed by the way. Genius? I think not.) that I learn like anyone else does. He laughed.
And said, "Yeah right! You learn like only you learn!" He often refers to me as a computer genius.(I restored that computer, and in my defense, I only ran chkdsk. Which got snagged and caused BSOD. Even the Geek Squad said chkdsk crashing a computer is unheard of.) (Geek Squad are people that work at a computer store called Best Buy.)

Ok. So what do you think? Tired of being called genius?

Drink Pepsi, Get Fat, Loose weight, repeat,
PepsiHog
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:01 am

Einstein is reported to have said "Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple." - you have made computers look simple to your clients so take the compliment as it is intended.

OTOH you could also consider a quote from my grandad who said "If you make it look too easy then they won't pay what the job is worth" :lol:

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Me_again wrote:Einstein is reported to have said "Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple." - you have made computers look simple to your clients so take the compliment as it is intended.

OTOH you could also consider a quote from my grandad who said "If you make it look too easy then they won't pay what the job is worth" :lol:
Well, I reckon it's your granded who's the genius. :)
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here