Mind = Blown

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Meryl
Staff

Mind = Blown

Post by Meryl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm

General Electric has a great Pinterest board with lots of cool, amazing facts ... some do blow your mind.

http://pinterest.com/generalelectric/mind-blown/

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

hello

Post by PepsiHog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

COOL!

But I question the first one.

"The BIGGEST thing in the universe is four billion light years long."

To me, there are so many things wrong with this statement.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The meaning of the word "universe" is

The Universe is commonly defined as the totality of existence, including planets, stars, galaxies, the contents of intergalactic space, and all matter and energy.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

This is the way I read into it.

First, it makes the assumption we've seen as far as possible.

Second, it implies that there IS an end to space.

Third, we found the end of space.

Fourth, we have some how managed to visually see and measure the distance from one end of space to the other end of space.

Fifth, even if we could see this far, which I doubt, how can we say it's the end of space? Maybe we just can't see what were missing.

PepsiHog
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 pm

PepsiHog -- glad I'm not the only one that wondered about that. What IS the biggest thing anyway? And if we know ... then it should be "The biggest thing in the universe that we know about is four billion light years long."

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Here's the biggest thing (found so far?) in the universe.

Here's something mindblowing (for us techie types) but more down to earth :)

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

hello

Post by PepsiHog » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Meryl - Exactly!

Me_again -

I think they stated it better.

"Last week, a team of astronomers based in the U.K. discovered the largest object in all of our observable existence: a celestial structure made up of 73 quasars that is up to 4 billion light years long."

They stated that based on what we have observed thus far. Which is likely true.

I'm a Star Trek fan. To me all this is very depressing in a way. They say there is a planet that is likely much like Earth and is in the goldilocks orbit from it's sun, like Earth is. But they say it is 600 light years away. If warp 1 is at the speed of light, it would still take 600 years to get there. At warp 10 it would take 60 years for us to get there. We are really far away from being able to travel that fast. Thus space travel, as it is in Star Trek, isn't soon to be a reality. That sucks!

I've always been curious about "out there". Now they're talking about sending people to live on Mars. A one way trip. Man! I'd love to do that!! I think that would be AWESOME!! But I'm 43 now. Not likely going to send someone that old to Mars. So I'm out of luck. *Cry Out Loud*

PepsiHog

[edit] - Ofcourse, there is folding space. They are working on that possibility, from what I've heard and read. So just maybe.....
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Re: hello

Post by Me_again » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 am

PepsiHog wrote:But they say it is 600 light years away. If warp 1 is at the speed of light, it would still take 600 years to get there. At warp 10 it would take 60 years for us to get there.
Oh no, warp 10 is much faster than that, otherwise they would never have gotten anywhere in a one hour episode :lol:

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Post by PepsiHog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:30 am

@Me_again,

Ok. I'll give you that one. LOL!! :lol:

PepsiHog
Windows 7

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Meryl wrote:What IS the biggest thing anyway? ."
Have you seen my mother in law?
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here