How do you back-up your computer?

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

How do you back-up your computer?

Post by PepsiHog » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:54 am

I thought this might be an interesting topic. Everyone has thier own way of protecting thier data. And we might get some helpful ideas from each other.

I use Acronis True Image. I keep my C drive fairly small, so it backs up easily and fast. My C drive is 25 gigs. I've created images of my Windows Xp with all the drivers and some useful tools. Such as VLC, and Daemon tools. I also have all of my virus and malware software installed. And ofcourse, it goes without saying, Macro Scheduler. I tend to do a LOT! I'm all over the place. Not only programming. So the software really depends on what I'm into at the time. So I tend to install as needed. For me, installing is no big deal.

My backing up C Drive only takes 20 minutes. And restoring is just as fast. I have limited areas where I keep my files, so when I need to recover my system, I just copy the areas where my files are over to my E drive. That drive (partition) is like 200 gigs. That's where I keep most of all of my installable programs. So if my computer crashes (rare) I'm back up and running in only 20 minutes.

And since MS is already installed, I can go right in and start programming.

Regardless of crashing or not, still tend to restore about every 3 months or so. This keeps my scratching post from becoming to cluttered. And it's only 20 minutes later!

Plus who knows what gets on a computer really? So it clears out all the unknowns (trash) as well.

I also have external hard drives (1.5TB) So every so often I back-up my other partitions, such as E drive.

So.....what's your system?
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:56 pm

I backup two ways: cloud with a service that lets me access and share files and external hard drive not connected to my PC. I use SyncBack, which automatically schedules to backup based on my selections.

That way my data is protected no matter what happens to the external harddrive and computer (Mother Nature) or if the cloud service goes out of business.

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:49 am

What amazes me is how many people seemingly DON'T backup at all!
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:29 am

Marcus Tettmar wrote:What amazes me is how many people seemingly DON'T backup at all!
Yep :roll: I see that all the time on another forum, someone spends many hours tweaking .css and scripts, gets hacked (often due to unsafe scripting), and it's whoa, now what do I do :shock:

I'm also a SyncBackSE fan because it can backup/synchonize to, or from, a server using FTP.

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:05 pm

Especially running Wordpress sites. Wordpress is to hackers for CMS what Microsoft is to hackers for OS.

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:54 pm

"Especially running Wordpress sites. Wordpress is to hackers for CMS what fresh meat is to a tiger."

There. I fixed it for you :)

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Me-again, exactly!

ME too

Rain
Automation Wizard

Post by Rain » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:40 pm

I backup to a cloud drive that comes for free with unlimited storage from my ISP and I backup nightly to a 300 GB partition.

On top of that, I wrote a script that monitors my .scp files for changes and as soon as a script is edited it zips and emails it to a gmail account that I have setup for that purpose only. I don't use that email account for anything else, so there is no junk mail to deal with.

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

hello

Post by PepsiHog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:18 pm

@Rain,

I really have no trust for those online buckups. I don't mean to say they are dishonest, maybe not. But how do you really know?

Ok, so they say it's encrypted. But they own the site. How do I know they aren't snooping through my files? I do have a site (free) where I have some files, but they are encryted by me. And to encrypt everything is just too painful. Plus the upload time.

Yes, I know.....paranoid much? That's true. But I'd rather be paranoid than violated.

Is there some kind of logic or reasoning as to why they should be trusted?

PepsiHog

edit - I saw buckups...but it's funny to me, so I left it.
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Some online buck ups let you share files or grab your own files from anywhere -- so that's a good way to spot check them.

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Cooler than water

Post by PepsiHog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:25 am

@Meryl,

Forgive me, Meryl, but I don't get where you are coming from. How is that a good way to spot check them?

PepsiHog

P.S. Are you the same Meryl as the one in Metal Gear? :lol:
Windows 7

Meryl
Staff

Post by Meryl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Spotcheck -- meaning verifying it's really backing up the files. Not 100% sure, but at least some reassurance.

Metal Gear ... no. I don't play those types of games.