GoDaddy DoS

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JRL
Automation Wizard

GoDaddy DoS

Post by JRL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 am

So I couldn't get to mjtnet.com this afternoon. Also had issues reported to me that email to certain customers were returned as undeliverable. Otherwise every search and every link I selected all day worked flawlessly. Never Occurred to me that there might be a major internet DNS server compromised.

One individual is taking "credit" for the attack. The question I have is not WHY but HOW? How does a person acquire the resources and time to accomplish such a useless endeavor? I have lots of things I'd like to accomplish and I have no time to accomplish them. And forget money. Not that I'm impoverished but there will never be money for mega computers and connectivity on the order needed to pull off this kind of foolishness.

Sorry if this is considered political... just delete it.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:01 am

They either buy a botnet, acquire one, or create their own, spread it, and wait until they have enough to send a DDOS attack.
FIREFIGHTER

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:05 am

What he said. You don't need money or mega computers when there are trillions of insecure home PCs connected to the Web that you can exploit.

mjtnet.com was unaffected. At least we had no issues throughout.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Not a DDOS, not that anon dude, but a major screw up at godaddy. As a godanica customer I'm torn between that being good news, or bad news :lol:

Meanwhile, on the subject of script kiddies, scary article about the amount of damage a bored 16 year old and weak security procedures can do.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Great "scary" article. Explains really well what hacking really is about. It isn't just weak security procedures. If people are able to be conned into divulging information, there is no security.

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't entirelly agree with you, as I read it most of what those people did was within the rules they were working under.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Sorry, poorly worded run-on sentences. Let me rephrase.

The article explains really well what hacking really is about. And this 15 year old seems to be really good at the social engineering aspect of gathering info.

Next paragraph:

And it isn't just weak security procedures. If people are able to be conned into divulging information, there is no security. I'm thinking of other articles I've read where the hacker calls the front desk of ABC Corp and says to the receptionist. "Hey... this is Bob down in IT... I have an emergency and I need your login information right away."

You are correct, the scariest aspect of this article is how easy it was for these children to acquire the info needed to break into accounts in high profile, well populated, internet commerce sites that should be fortresses of security.

Its funny, because one of the sites mentioned was PayPal. My wife set up an account on PayPal then couldn't remember the password 6 months later when she wanted to use it again. It was my credit card and her email address and I spent an hour on the phone trying to get the password reset and couldn't get it accomplished. After three years the account expired and we were able to get signed up again. I guess I just don't have the skills required.

Me_again
Automation Wizard

Post by Me_again » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Oh, yes, I agree 100% with that :D

But don't get me started on the evil empire of ebay+"we're not a bank"paypal.

JRL
Automation Wizard

Post by JRL » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:03 pm

But don't get me started....
Please continue... this could be fun.