Pet Peeves

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

JRL
Automation Wizard

Pet Peeves

Post by JRL » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:30 pm

Everybody has them (PP). Something that is insignificant yet makes you cringe. Like the F150 I seen (PP) parked sideways in front of an EV charging station. A deliberate ICING event using a known gas hog. Or the misuse of "there" - a position vs "their" - belonging to them vs "they're" - a contraction for they are. Or, as I've mentioned multiple times on this forum, using single character or undescriptive variables. Apparently some people have never revisited a 5000 line script a year after originally writing it. These days I don't even use the foreshortened function names because it makes revisiting old scripts more difficult. Maybe others do a better job of remarking.

What peeves do you keep as pets?

Dorian (MJT support)
Automation Wizard

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Dorian (MJT support) » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:46 pm

Your not alone in those pet peeves <<< see what I did there?

And those two-space parking people! Grrr.

But at least your neighbour's daughter hasn't recently taken up playing the drums (like ours has).
Yes, we have a Custom Scripting Service. Message me or go here

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by PepsiHog » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:40 pm

Not sure if it's really a pet peeve, but I agree that a macro that is not noted can become a nightmare to go back to. I used to think, "I know what this does, I don't need to note anything, I just know." But put that macro down and come back a few days later, when your not thinking in the same way, and that script can look like Japanese. And then I have to sit there reading through it, trying to remember what I was thinking.

Nowadays, I note almost EVERY line. Tell what I'm thinking and what the next line or lines will do. Saves me all kinds of time.

PepsiHog

Little edit: And I tend to write my notes as though I were explaining it to someone else. That way I keep what I'm noting clear.
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!