uiClick

Anything Really. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

uiClick

Post by PepsiHog » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if someone can explain why this works. Yep, why it works.

Say you run an application. The first window is the parent window. You do some action like click a button. This causes a child window to pop up. Once this happens, if you click a button on the parent window (while the child window is still there.) the child window flashes or blinks. This is the child window saying, "You can't do that action until you deal with me!"

Now I am using uiClick. It clicks this, that and some other stuff. But an unexpected child window pops up. One that the macro isn't prepared for. You would expect that if the macro uses uiClick to click a button on the parent window, it would cause the child window to flash. But no. It actually is allowed and the button, whatever function it does, actually works!

Whaaat? What the hell?!

I like it. I just don't get how it is possible. I like it because now I can break the rules! But I am curious why this works.

Why does this work?

Thanks,
PepsiHog
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!

Marcus Tettmar
Site Admin

Re: uiClick

Post by Marcus Tettmar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:10 pm

No idea, but uiClick performs the default action. What that is and how the software responds is down to the guys or gals who developed it. And to us it's a black box. So frankly I have no idea. That's automation for you. You try stuff and see what works. We can't usually see the code and therefore can't usually say WHY something does or does not work.
Marcus Tettmar
http://mjtnet.com/blog/ | http://twitter.com/marcustettmar

Did you know we are now offering affordable monthly subscriptions for Macro Scheduler Standard?

PepsiHog
Automation Wizard

Re: uiClick

Post by PepsiHog » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks for responding, Marcus. I was thinking standard window stuff(rules). But I guess you're right. It depends on how they designed it.

But here's the riddle. After I posted this post the first time, I was wondering if I was just nuts. Maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw. So I made the "error" happen again. First, I did it manually. Maybe the child won't blink. Nope, it blinked. Then I recreated it with my macro. It didn't blink. So on one hand, they wrote it with the rule we would expect. But on the other hand....

As it turns out, regardless of the result, and the riddle, I'm still nuts! Amen! It's good to know some things stay the same, isn't it?

PepsiHog
Windows 7

PepsiHog. Yep! I drink LOTS of Pepsi (still..in 2021) AND enjoy programming. (That's my little piece of heaven!)

The immensity of the scope of possibilities within Macro Scheduler pushes the user beyond just macros!