Opening Script File in iOS?

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Opening Script File in iOS?

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:27 am

This is a bit of random topic but let me explain my issue.

I have all my documents (including script files etc) on my OneDrive

The other day I wanted to simply view and edit a script (using a text editor) on my iPhone or IPad. I ran into a number of issues.

Because iOS seems so dependant on file extensions, no app would recognise the .scp file. So even though I know it is basically just text, I could do nothing with it.

Then (this is a limitation of OneDrive) I could not change the file extension to .txt - Yes this is very poor. OneDrive iOS App does not even show file extensions by default and if you attempt to edit the file name it simply becomes for example "script..txt.scp"

I searched for some apps that will open ANY file type but failed to find anything.

So... Can anyone suggest a way to open an SCP file on iOS (just to look at it, obviously it will have no script functionality).

Marcus, is it worth developing a small iOS APP that is dedicated to editing scp files on iOS?

I may have missed something obvious, I am not an iOS expert by any means.

TIA,

P
Phil Pendlebury - Linktree

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Re: Opening Script File in iOS?

Post by CyberCitizen » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:30 am

Another reason I love Android :P

I have my Macro Scheduler packaged as a virtual app, then sync'd via GoodSync. This allows me to access my scripts from anywhere with an internet connection. I also have my primary USB I work off that syncs with the same connection via GoodSync ensuring that everywhere I work I have the same scripts and version.

That being said I hadn't had much luck with OneDrive etc. Are you accessing it though their app or via a web browser (Safari). Normally in the browser you have more control etc.
FIREFIGHTER

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:41 am

Hi,

Yes I am aware that Android does this very easily, as it does with music etc. (I hate Apple's file management). However, in this case I need to view on Apple devices as stated. The job I will be working on - all the team use iPads and I am not going to be able change that.

I am not an Apple fanboy, all my computers are PC but in this case all phones and pads are Apple.

I also personally never use Safari. Always Chrome.

So what I am looking for is an Apple APP that will open any file. Or any suggestions from people who have done this.

Thanks.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:52 am

The only thing I have done previously is used jump desktop to ssh home and edit directly in macro scheduler.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
FIREFIGHTER

Phil Pendlebury
Automation Wizard

Post by Phil Pendlebury » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:00 pm

Thanks mate, yup that's neat.

In this case, I only need to be able to view the script. Maybe a little on the fly editing but no actual functionality.

CyberCitizen
Automation Wizard

Post by CyberCitizen » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:01 pm

What about Google Drive as that has Google Apps that should allow editing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
FIREFIGHTER