Tell us how Macro Scheduler helps you, what you use it for.

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

pgriffin
Automation Wizard

Post by pgriffin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:35 pm

I now make my living writing automation with MacroScheduler. I have many projects at customer sites, but my largest project runs on a single PC at a customer site. This system, simultaneously, and as 'real time' as possible:

1. moves data from an Oracle database to UPS WorldShip
2. moves data from UPS WorldShip into an ERP shipping interface
3. retrieves order emails from a website, parses the data and enters orders to the ERP system for shipment.
4. Prints shipping labels for Non-UPS shipments

What makes this project complicated is that (because of the ERP) MacroSched has to manage 4 application screens simultaneously, which is does very nicely.

There seems to be no limit to the problems that can be solved with this tool.

mikeyd03

Post by mikeyd03 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:46 pm

I've been using Macro Scheduler for about 3 years now. My latest project is a routine to update and backup the MySql database on my remote web server nightly.
Works Great!

buckw1
Junior Coder

Post by buckw1 » Sat May 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi,
I initially ran across MS due to a game script site and my main use of MS is still to run that game. That of course opened up a lot of possibilities and I now use it at work to automate various program startups and log-ons. My only complaint is the basic GUI designer and /or lack of tutorial for GUI. More people need to post thier GUI designs here for examples that others can paste into the diaglog designer.

Buck

JPBernoux

Use of Macro Scheduler in Research Administration at NCSU

Post by JPBernoux » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:44 pm

As a research administrator at NC State University, I have been using the Macro Scheduler for two years to automatize cumbersome administrative tasks like recurrent access to financial data bases. One of my most successful contribution for other administrators has been to automatize their desktops by assigning Keyboard function keys to standard administrative tasks. As security is important we have to constantly log in to the financial system which times users out after 1 hour, MS allows to log in automatically.
The most original use I have found is the following: we share files on a server which allows only one user to update a file at any time. Unfortunately, some users forget they are locking others out and keep a file open for long times if not forever. I have written a MS program that:
1 - Allows to load contentious files for a user via a function key,
2 - Starts a timer that limits the time the file stays open,
3 - At timeout asks the question: do you want to continue?
4 - if not answer (i.e. user went to restroom) saves and closes
5 - if answer, can choose to continue or close
I will post the program if anybody is interested

lgeistlinger

Use of Macro Scheduler for Anti-Phishing

Post by lgeistlinger » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:28 pm

I have used MacroScheduler for a few years now.
This is a great program :D

I am just a home user but it has automated some the mundane Tasks. And I send EXE files to work and to friends for some of their tasks.

To stay sharp on the coding I have recently started using it for Scamming "Phishers".

I have used MacroScheduler to create txt files with 1000's of bogus
credit card numbers "to pass a simple Java Checksum."
Male first names
Female first names
Surnames
Passwords

and then use random> to select a line number
and Readln> to get info
From this info you make up user names and email Address

Short cut-n-past script gives you SS#

So now when I get an email Phishing for my info,
I report it to the proper authorities
Check the source code of the email and carefully check to see if the website is still active.
If it is I will take 5 minutes and write a script to fill in there fields with bogus info.
and loop it for 200-500 times.

So if they do get someone to give them real info they have to sort through my junk to get it.

It makes me sleep better at night. :D
Humm so I guess you can say MacroScheduler helps me sleep at night

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:13 pm

Over the past 2 years I have been migrating customer backups to 5 Hard Drives named Mon - Fri where they can keep multiple copies of server backups and local workstation backups also. Onr site copies 2 servers and selected contents of 8 workstations(which often get overlooked in backup plans).

I use XXCOPY to do the backups, and use Macro Scheduler to control the schedule, the names of the Source and Destination drives, the location of the backup content/exclusion files, the auto date-naming of the files and all the necessary logs.

No tapes/discs to remember to replace, Works every day, destinations change automatically accoording to the day of the week, exceptions reports emailed automatically. Don't worry about vacation schedules and relying on someone to remember that the "backup person" is not in.

Basic stuff, but I prefer using XXCOPY vs other backup tools. But that is another discussion.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

mileswilliams
Junior Coder

Post by mileswilliams » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:17 pm

I have been using MS for about 3 years now, a colleague and I have made hundreds of macros, the best being an automated ticketing system... Using HP Openview when a critical alarm is flagged by one of the systems, the details of the alarm are copied then Remedy is started, the details are used to raise a trouble ticket, the reference number is copied and annotated against the message in Openview.

We have created a GUI that allows users to start commonly used applications using a check box system (Click which you want to start) their previous choice is remembered and all the passwords are stored encrypted on the users desktop.

On the fun side I have created a caption competition which is a simple box with a picture of the week automatically loaded in, and the constantly updating list of insults and comments, with the option of adding you own of course. I send the link out everyweek (not macro'd yet)

I am currently working on a macro that will make macros... a kind of GUI that will allow my less informed colleagues produce automated Trouble Tickets with various details... Is there an alarm , do you want to save etc... works a charm, the "script" is sent to me where I edit and compile.

It is a fantastic application, and we currently have about 8 licences and I am trying to get the company to buy more.

ShaneCl

Success Story

Post by ShaneCl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:09 am

I have been developing scripts for our Banking and Insurance company for approx 3 years.

We currently have 77 scripts with approx 20 000 lines of code, running on 104 machines and used 11502 times last week by our 100+ consultants.

The scripts are used in our Insurance Call Centre for lodgement of new Home and Motor Insurance claims and for tracking call backs by customers once a claim is lodged. In fact what we have created is like a mini front end for our consultants.

Previously our consultants would lodge claims directly into our Mainframe system. Old style front end, Cobol based, no error checking and no way to ensure accuracy of details.

Now Macro scheduler sits between our consultants and the mainframe
and automates many/all of the processes. (completes web pages were required such as booking repairers, emails tow in requests for vehicles, prompts for details such as weather conditions in a road accident, Text messages a customer their claim details at the end of the claim process.)

Reports generated allow us to track why customers call back and how
often, how many claims we lodge. I have also combined the reports
with information from the Australian Bureau of Meteorology to give us
real time tracking of New claim lodgement during storms so we can make
predictions on call volumes.

I should also mention that the support we have received from MJTNet is second to none.

A great program and a great company to deal with.

speedilad

macro scheduler uses

Post by speedilad » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:43 pm

Here are a dozen uses I created..... GREAT PRODUCT!!! THANKS!

Jim

1. automate signing in the stock streamer at my online broker - it resizes windows etc.

2. automate signing in to 2 additional accounts when required

3. cleanup my system - 1st closes all apps except Outlook - then does the compacting on the outlook.pst file then closes a outlook

4. automate backup - 1st copies daily use files not located in "My Documents" then initiates my own backup routine that saves up to 5 versions of any changed file to an external hard disk. the external hard disk has 5 backup folders I setup - the macro rotates to the next folder each time executed and then back to the first

5. my daily start macro reboots my system then does a list on the screen of files backed up the previous night so at a glance in the morning I can see the backup worked correctly - it also opens 2 web pages - one for the daily weather and one for some stocks I am interested in.

6. one does a broadband speed test repeatedly

7. one changes all file name extensions in a selected folder from ".not" to ".txt"

8. I did some macros the do specific vehicle searches in "autotrader.com"

9. I use a macro to search the real estate multilist service in our area for homes that meet my requirements -

10. I use one to encrypt sensitive files and decrypt of course

11. I use one to move all my "startup" folder shortcuts to a "startupsave" folder and another to restore them. handy when doing frequent rebooots

12. I use one to enter my scheduled racquetball matches into Outlook

despinal

Post by despinal » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:38 pm

I've been using the system intermittently, but my latest project was:

To broadcast and archive a daily conference call for the Technology Dept. which happens twice a day.

A. I had to setup 1 system with windows xp where Macro Scheduler performs the following actions:

1. Launches Cisco Communicator (IP phone)
2. Dials a conference call number, then Pin code. Once the pin code has been accepted, the call is muted.
3. I setup a wait time of 10 minutes, once the times is off, the call gets disconnected and application is closed.

B. While A is performing its task, I have another system setup with Windows 2003 server:

1. Windows Media Encoder is launched and started (at this point the call is being broadcast live and users are able to listen to the call using the web.
2. Once the wait time which is also 10 minutes ends, the encoder is stopped.
3. While the encoder was running, the application was archiving the call to a wma file. I have a command line mp3 converter that converts from wma to mp3 format and then I have a vbscript that grabs the converted mp3 file and copies it over to a flash mp3 player folder with the day stamp when the call took place (ex. 11132006.mp3)
4. Mp3 file is automatically available to the users through another link on the web.

Dannye

Tony Urquhart

Macro Scheduler Uses

Post by Tony Urquhart » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:37 pm

I use it to retrieve info from different corporate databases, where we do not have adhoc report ability. Using a list from an excel spreadsheet, it will go to the relevant application, select the data from the fields required & paste it back into excel, where I can then use the data.
I also use it for entering data where there are multiple steps over a number of pages & especially where the application does not have keyboard command options. I load the data into a xls, then MS will enter the data quickly & accurately.
Tony
Newcastle, Australia

Ianw
Junior Coder

Post by Ianw » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:49 am

I use MScheduler to save, using a separate script for each, my firefox settings, Pocomail emails, configuration files, files in which I save my personal data, spreadsheet files, and also a script to restore all those as required.

that sure saves me a lot of work.

Then another with which Marcus helped me out as in the topic "Press enter" in the beginners section.
I have 143 files that individually require installing into my Studio 10 video editing program.
The script installs one file, waits then installs the next etc etc.
That script alone is well worth the "asking money" for MScheduler.

BTW Marcus, I have mentioned MSched on the USA forums I'm on.
Many thanks
Ianw

Majination

Post by Majination » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:45 pm

I use MacroScheduler at home. I am paralyzed from the chest down, so rely on voice recognition software for all of my computer input. The software that best suits my needs is rather old, and has a tendency to crash under newer operating systems. I have MacroScheduler setup to restart the voice recognition software every hour, as well as to restart it if an error message is detected. This solution has worked (nearly) perfectly, and has made me much more independent.

edauthier
Pro Scripter

Post by edauthier » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:20 am

I used to consider Macro Scheduler just another tool to manage the technology that surrounded me everyday in my career. But at a certain point I realized that it is the ‘best’ tool I had.

Many years ago a colleague introduced MS to me and in those days we used to supplement the Business System job streams that could not be automated inherently; nightly reports and routines, etc.

From there it evolved into complete elimination of printed reports; then thru that automation we eliminated a nightly staff position from the IT team.

I then took into network engineering with me. Macro would monitor Router interfaces and call the on-staff person in the event of an outage. I also utilized for VPN tunnel monitoring. In recent years, I’ve tied it into the clinical systems I have been working with.

There are so many possibilities with MS. I have read (in the forum) recently that MS is for the ‘layman’ developer, but even with VBScripting you just cannot manage all your code and compile tight executables as with MS.

The other items that many people may overlook are the updates, enhancements, and fixes. Marcus and company are very commendable in this area. MJTnet also has an excellent response to support issues.

I am now a partner in my own business and I honestly believe that Macro had a hand in my success thus far.

Sam

Post by Sam » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:08 pm

This post has been quiet for a while!

I've been using macro scheduler for a while but only recently discovered the forums.

I use MS on start up to log into my business specific apps at work. There are 5 or 6 including websites, databases and specific apps for billing/ordering etc.

I work for a major telco and also use MS for automating bulk mobile phone and data connections (from 25 to 2500+), bulk billing and customer care (say for instance a big company has 500 mobiles and wants to change the service plan on all of them!)

Alot of it is mainly Copy/Paste from excel sheets (thank you variables). the hard part is coding in subroutines that detect and react to errors in the applications.

Also... I'm using MS version 6. As I said I've only just discovered the forums (didnt know about version 10) and will be submitting a business proposal today to get v10!