Shitt-Esc running

General Macro Scheduler discussion

Moderators: Dorian (MJT support), JRL

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Shitt-Esc running

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:01 am

I am running version 7.1.13 on Windows 98 SE.

If I press CTL-ALT-DEL to look in the Close Program window, I notice that Macro Scheduler now seems to be identified as "Shift-Esc to stop" in the Close Program window. My recollection is that this normally was listed as "Msched" in the past.

It does change to Msched if I open Macro Scheduler Manager window.

Is it possible that Macro Scheduler has not fully loaded? This does occur if I shut down and reboot. It also occurs if I close Macro Scheduler from the system tray and restart it from the Start Menu.

I have no macros that run on loading Macro Scheduler. But Macro Scheduler is in my Start folder to start with Windows.

I don't think it can be a Macro that started and is hung up. I have checked all scheduled macros and they are all set to run at scheculed start time. None are set to run immediately, so this should not be a macro running at reboot time.

I do not appear to be having any problems, but always get concerned when "normal" is not normal.

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:41 am

Hello Bob,

Relax. All situations you described in your post are perfectly normal. The Window title of Macro Scheduler identified as "Shift-Esc to stop" is intended to remind users a way to escape from an infinite wait or an infinite loop, which I often encounter when writing scripts.

Macro Scheduler should be activated automatically when Windows boots up (cold/warm). It's required to performs two major tasks day in and day out:
1. Capture the hot keys you assigned to the scripts;
2. Run scheduled scripts.

Happy New Year.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:49 pm

Thanks, makes me feel better.

:oops: Now if I can just correct the typing error on the Subject line...

Gotta stop working so early in the morning

armsys
Automation Wizard

Post by armsys » Wed Jan 01, 2003 1:27 am

Hi Bob,

In fact, Macro Scheduler's gear icon is one of few I feel safe to be allowed running in the background.

Nowadays there's so many pieces of adware, spyware, virusware, activation/terminationware (see: http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xm ... pgripe.xml) especially if your PC/notebook is connected to the internet. If no Macro Scheduler script is running but the modem and/or hard disk lights are constantly blinking, you should be concerned about what's running before the scene.

Happy New Year!

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Jan 28, 2003 7:56 pm

How do you disable the "Press Shift-Esc to stop" entry from appearing in the alt-tab list? The only way I can disable this is by opening msched and then hiding it.

Although it does no harm and might appear as a 'friendly reminder'... to me it's an unwanted 'annoying reminder' that appears in my ALT-TAB list (which I use a LOT).

So I'm looking for either a way to have it not appear in the first place, or an option that makes it immediately disappear without me having to do anything.

Bob Hansen
Automation Wizard

Post by Bob Hansen » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:15 pm

Starting Macro Scheduler with -HIDE -NOSYSTRAY as switches on the command line will prevent MS from showing up with ALT-TAB.

It will not show up in System Tray, or Task Manager listing either.
Hope this was helpful..................good luck,
Bob
A humble man and PROUD of it!

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:45 pm

I still want the systray icon, just not that entry in the ALT-TAB list that says "Shift-Esc to hide" (or any entry from mssched in the alt-tab list)

Captive
Macro Veteran

Post by Captive » Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:26 pm

Excellent! The 'shift-esc' entry no longer appears in 7.1.16 on startup (yay!) or after Ctrl-F4 is pressed to hide MShed. :D

Thanks Marcus